Wednesday, June 18, 2008

To Obey

Tonight, I think I ignored God's voice.

On my way home from choir rehearsal, I had to wait at a stop light for two fire engines, an ambulance, and a few seconds later, two police cars to pass. They turned toward my house and I was wondering where they were headed. I very quickly knew. As I topped a hill, still a couple of miles from home, I saw the fire engines blocking the right lane of traffic and the access to a side street. Driving by, I saw the emergency workers all hovered around a person on the pavement. There was a car stopped in the middle of the intersection and a bicycle laying a little bit to the side. My assumption is that the car hit the bike. I immediately thanked the Lord that He kept me from being in the accident and began to pray for those involved. I turned toward home and as I prayed for the situation began to wonder if I should go back to the scene and attempt to minister in some way. It was late. I was tired. Suzanne and the boys were already at home getting ready for bed. I did the whole mental argument thing all the way home. "God, surely You don't want me to go back there...What could I do?...They probably wouldn't let me talk to anyone anyway...God, you know I need to get home..." and it just went on and on in my head. I think, deep down I knew God was speaking, but I just didn't obey. Why? Honestly, it just didn't make sense. It really felt a little crazy.

I don't know for sure what God wanted me to do at that accident scene tonight. But I know I want to obey Him next time. At choir tonight, I spoke about hearing and obeying The Good Shepherd's voice (John 10) and on the way home, I heard and disobeyed that very voice.

Lord, forgive my trusting my reason more than Your voice. Give me a sensitive heart to hear You and a willing heart to fully obey You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

~Jon

No comments: