Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

Thanksgiving Day is winding down for another year and I am being inspired by a door. Let me explain...

We are at my parents house in White Hall, Arkansas. This is not the house I grew up in, but my folks built this house when I was in college, so there are lots of memories here and I am very familiar with it. They are currently adding an addition to the house that includes two new bathrooms, a large quilting/exercise room, and a good amount of extra storage space. It's going to be really nice (when it's finished)! Right now, it is very much still under construction. There were workers here when we arrived on Wednesday night making sure that the bathrooms would be functional, but otherwise, there are still quite a few things to be done before they can totally move into this new space. To get to this new place, currently we walk through the door that used to lead to the small guest bathroom that Suzanne and I have always used in this house. When that door is closed, it looks just like it always has...but when you open that familiar door, you enter a whole new living space.

This is the door that is inspiring me.

Sitting on the couch, I look at the closed door and in my minds eye, I know what is behind it...but in reality it is being changed day by day. It's being prepared by skillful builders for fruitful labors and increased value for my family. The architect drew out meticulous plans and the ones building the addition are carrying them out to the letter. This is what God is doing in our lives right now. We are staring at a door. We think we know what lies behind it. We think we can predict what God is up to, but we fall woefully short. Our predictions, regretfully, are many times based on our expectations of people and our interpretations of circumstances. God knows what is being prepared behind the door of the next season and He is preparing every detail! Our job is not to figure it all out, but to walk through the door by faith.

"For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live]." - Ephesians 2:10 (Amplified Bible)

Thanking God For The Door (and what's on the other side),

~Jon

No comments: